8.28.2006

New Ones and Twos




After writing a pretty long review of the new DC comic, Justice League of America my computer crashed before I could post it. I was in the middle of giving quick review of two other books when it crashed. So . . . being mightily pissed, I am just going to give a little thumbs up/thumbs down sort of look at last week's books that I bought:

Justice League of America #1 4 out of 5 Batarangs - the new relaunch of the League by Brad Meltzer is looking very promising. Say it with me now . . . Black Lightning!!

Batman and the Mad Monk #1 2.5 out of 5 Batarangs - Matt Wagner's second mini-series under the Dark Moon Rising stable of retellings of classic Batman monster villians from the Golden Age, is well-written, well-drawn and generally enjoyable, but for all that, it's still a little flat. Got the .5 for featuring a recreation of one of my all time favorite covers (Re-doing Neal Adams's tribute to the original cover from, I think, Detective Comics #31).

Wonder Woman #2 2 out of 5 Batarangs - by Heinberg and the Duo Dodsen. Beauty to look at, not so much on the story. I am giving the benefit of the doubt and will get one more issue of this WW relaunch.

Batman #656 4.5 out of 5 Batarangs - not really a number 1 or 2, but it is the second issue of the Son of the Bat storyline by Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert. What can I say that hasn't already been said. Simply great on a single, dual, even triple level - there is great popcorn fun here with a masterful meta-text on comics and the state of the "new" Batman, plus it all ties into one of the more classic (and personal favorite) Batman tales that had, for a long time, been written off by the suits at Warners as an Elseworlds tale. Bring me more Ninja Manbats!

Cassanova #2 3 out of 5 Batarangs - this past week, #3 came out, but I just read two, so I can squeeze it under this post, dammit! Fraction's mind-blower of a comic with absolutely stunning one-color art by Gabriel Ba, the second issue does not disappoint. Super-spies, creepy Earth-2 incest overtones, and great back-matter, if you aren't reading this book and Warren Ellis's Fell both for the measily ticket price of $1.99, you should quit reading comics now. Go listen to your old Milli Vanilli tapes in your AMC Pacer. You suck.

Thursday, look for more.

No comments: